Rick Garman grew up in Iowa and although he appreciated his solid Midwestern upbringing, he moved to Los Angeles as soon as he was old enough to be sure that his parents couldn’t send a sheriff to bring him back. He studied theater at the prestigious American Academy of Dramatic Arts, but soon realized that acting was not his passion. Writing was.
He made his writing debut with a stage production “17 Days,” which was produced at The Colony Theater in Los Angeles and played in in small theaters around the country. The work received strong critical praise and several DramaLogue Awards.
A few years later, his second play “Mountains” debuted at The Colony. It went on to win the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Los Angeles Theater Production.
He transitioned into travel writing, authoring more than a dozen guide books about Las Vegas about Las Vegas including Frommer’s, Las Vegas for Dummies, and Moon Handbooks.
Rick has published two novels including “Interitas Volume 1: The Beginning of Sorrows,” the first book in a proposed seven book YA series, and “Jake Davenport PI: The Case of the Missing Cha Cha Heel,” a comedic mystery.
For television, he has written or co-written many movies including:
- Late Bloomer starring Italia Ricci (Chasing Life, Designated Survivor) and Nathan Parsons (True Blood), aired August 2016 on PixL TV
- Christmas in Homestead starring Taylor Cole (The Originals) and Michael Rady (Jane the Virgin), airing November 24, 2016 (Thanksgiving night) at 8pm on The Hallmark Channel
- The Sound of Christmas starring Lindy Booth (The Librarians) and Robin Dunne (Sanctuary), airing December 11, 2016 on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries
- Same Time Next Week starring Jewel Staite (Firefly) and Travis Milne (Rookie Blue), airing 2016 on PixL TV
- Bad Date Chronicles starring Merrit Patterson (Royals, Ravenswood) and Justin Kelly (Degrassi: The Next Generation), airing 2017 on PixL TV
- Once Upon a Date starring Katrina Bowden (30 Rock) and Dean Geyer (Glee), airing 2017 on PixL TV
He is working on more television movies for Hallmark, Lifetime, and PixL and the second novel in the Interitas series entitled “False Prophets,” all of which should debut in 2017.
Rick enjoys taking road trips to see colorful bits of Americana and counts Savannah, Georgia as his favorite city in the world. In his spare time you’ll probably find him on the couch binge-watching TV.