Rick Garman grew up in Iowa and although he appreciated his solid Midwestern upbringing, he moved to Los Angeles as soon as he was old enough to be sure that his parents couldn’t send a sheriff to bring him back. He studied theater at the prestigious American Academy of Dramatic Arts, but soon realized that acting was not his passion. Writing was.
He made his writing debut with a stage production “17 Days,” which was produced at The Colony Theater in Los Angeles and played in in small theaters around the country. The work received strong critical praise and several DramaLogue Awards.
A few years later, his second play “Mountains” debuted at The Colony. It went on to win the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Los Angeles Theater Production.
He transitioned into travel writing, authoring more than a dozen guide books about Las Vegas including Frommer’s, Las Vegas for Dummies, and Moon Handbooks.
Rick has published two novels including “Interitas Volume 1: The Beginning of Sorrows,” the first book in a proposed seven book YA series, and “Jake Davenport PI: The Case of the Missing Cha Cha Heel,” a comedic mystery.
For television, he has written or co-written many movies including:
- Late Bloomer starring Italia Ricci (Chasing Life, Designated Survivor) and Nathan Parsons (True Blood), aired August 2016 on PixL TV
- Christmas in Homestead starring Taylor Cole (The Originals) and Michael Rady (Jane the Virgin), airied November 24, 2016 (Thanksgiving night) The Hallmark Channel – was the the highest-rated and most-watched ad-supported cable program of the day
- The Sound of Christmas starring Lindy Booth (The Librarians) and Robin Dunne (Sanctuary), aired December 11, 2016 on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries – was the most watched original premiere ever among Women 25-54 and Adults 25-54
- The Perfect Bride starring Pascale Hutton and Kavan J. Smith (When Calls the Heart) , aired June 10, 2017 on Hallmark Channel – was the number one rated movie of the week, the number one program of the day, and drove Hallmark Channel to be the number one network in prime time
- Same Time Next Week starring Jewel Staite (Firefly) and Travis Milne (Rookie Blue), airing 2017 on PixL TV
- Bad Date Chronicles starring Merrit Patterson (Royals, Ravenswood) and Justin Kelly (Degrassi: The Next Generation), aired July 1, 2017 on PixL TV
- Once Upon a Date starring Katrina Bowden (30 Rock) and Dean Geyer (Glee), airing 2017 on PixL TV
He is working on more television movies for Hallmark and other networks and the second novel in the Interitas series entitled “False Prophets,” all of which should debut in 2017 and 2018.
Rick enjoys taking road trips to see colorful bits of Americana and counts Savannah, Georgia as his favorite city in the world. In his spare time you’ll probably find him on the couch binge-watching TV.